The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is the first novel in The Millennium Trilogy.

It was published in 2005, one year after the author Stieg Larsson’s death.The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
It received The Glass Key Award form Crime Writers of Scandinavia in 2006.
According to figures from June 2011, the Millennium Trilogy has together sold 60 million copies in more than 50 countries.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – Plot summary

Disgraced journalist Mikael Blomqvist is hired by Henrik Vanger to investigate the disappearance of Vanger’s great-niece Harriet. Henrik suspects that someone in his family, the powerful Vanger clan, murdered Harriet over forty years ago.

Starting his investigation, Mikael realizes that Harriet’s disappearance is not a single event, but rather linked to series of gruesome murders in the past. He now crosses paths with Lisbeth Salander, a young computer hacker, an asocial punk and most importantly, a young woman driven by her vindictiveness.

Together they form an unlikely couple as they dive deeper into the violent past of the secretive Vanger family.

480 comments on “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo”

• Rick Norris says:

I have not read a book in years. I bought the book in Atlata 8 days ago and finished it today. I can’t wait to buy the next one in the series.

- Rick Norris,

• deborah messier says:

i first saw the films in swedish and now on the 3rd book…the girl who kicked the hornet’s nest. all brilliantly written. really draws you into the story and characters’. it all sticks with you. i dont see the need for america to have done a film…doesnt come close to the original films/books. sorry to say but Stieg is the only way to go!

- deborah messier,

• Rory, says:

Just try it, read and concentrate on it. But I suggest to see film trilogy first, it´s much easier to understand plot of book.

- monika,

• Jayden says:

I really want to read it but not sure if it is a good book or if it will waste my time

- Jayden,

• monika, says:

Urm. He didn’t. Stieg Larson died in 2004.As far as I’m aware, the books weren’t even published before his death.

- R Baker,

• kannan says:

One Book for Life Success offers so much of wisdom – just awesome

- kannan,

• Ann says:

It’s interesting!

Love it

- Ann,

• Ranjeet Bhamra says:

I wasn’t a mystery book fan until I read ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’.

- Ranjeet Bhamra,

• Albina Aldave. says:

Very good books, very bad spanish translation!

- Albina Aldave.,

• vaishali singh says:

this is one of the best book i have ever read….

- vaishali singh,

• kp says:

excellent film and book, look forward to reading the other and possible sequel to movie…. gotta love that daniel craig

- kp,

• Dave says:

One of the saddest books I have ever read. Yet beautifully written, I was simply unable to put it down.

- Dave,

• Hellen F says:

Ronney Mara – sucks… she can not be compared to Noomi Rapace.

Brazilian people loved Noomi´s work, but please don´t let Rooney to blow it.

PLEASE we BEG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Hellen F,

• Hellen F says:

rooney Mara sucks, please dont let her to keep up with the trillogy

- Hellen F,

• D.Dezi, says:

All three books are in movies. They were released a few years ago with English subtitles…Actually, I watched the 2nd & 3rd online, but a large video store probably has them. (try stagevu.com and veehd.com). What a loss Larsson’s early death is…Why would anyone read a trilogy out of sequence???

- Sandra,

• batte says:

WOW!!!!!!!

- batte,

• Marlene Asher says:

These are three of the best books I have ever read. Unpredictable plot, intriguing characters, written in English that is easy to read and follow. The author is gifted. I hope that the family of this late great author allows his girlfriend to finish the fourth book in the series so we can see what the fate of Lizbeth is ultimately. I plan to read all three books again. Great!

- Marlene Asher,

• clint says:

i am buy this book tomorrow

- clint,

I just finished watching the movie.. I understand the author was trying to depict a heroine.. but I’m a 21 year old woman and I was disappointed in the way her character was, and the way the journalist’s character was. At first, I thought the journalist understood Lizabeth, and saw her as an innocent and betrayed child…. then they jumped into bed together. I don’t mind the graphics of the rape, because it was portrayed as bad. Personally, there was too much sex and nudity for me to enjoy.

- ,

I was blown away by this story and I think the movie did the disturbing tale and it’s characters justice. There are other Noir Thrillers out on the market right now that are just as compelling and the characters insanely disturbing…the writing from http://www.bonniekozek.com/ makes you wonder where people come up with this stuff. She’s amazing. Her latest is Just Before The Dawn but you have to read Threshold first to get a grip on the story.

- Tiffany,

• D.Dezi, says:

The scene was true to the books. Disturbing

- without a doubt. I’ve been raped, and I couldn’t watch it all. I do wish I would have gotten the retribution she did!

- Rxy1981,

• yols says:

powerful to the core of society-betrayal, incest, love, racism, basically human nature at it’s worst-the parallels that evolve in this magnificent man’s writing is amazing but it leaves me wondering what is fiction and what is non fiction in his writing. I can only say “to kill a mockingbird” eat your heart out- Larsson thank you

- yols,

• Tiffany, says:

Couldn’t agree more!

- N Bird,

• Ziggy says:

Just finished reading the book. The starting was nice and then it got very creepy and the writing style was fun to read. But when events started to unfold, it all happened too quickly and suddenly and poof, it was over. Then there is the long drawn out story about writing another article that has no suspense or drama with a very predictable ending. The writing at the end was just awful. Overall 3/5

- Ziggy,

• N Bird says:

I too have read the book, I enjoyed it somewhat, but it did not live up to my expectations. Overhyped in my opinion. I’m so glad to have stumbled across this web page, fore warned is forearmed and I will be steering well clear of the film. The rape within the book was indeed very brutal, but necessarily graphic in content in order to engage with the character of Lisbeth. I do not however think it necessary for the film to be as visually graphic, a good director should be able to imply what’s going on without the actors having to engage in the act itself. Disappointing for me, (especially since learning that Larsson infact witnessed the gang rape of an innocent girl in his real life and he wanted to expose such wrong doings) was that one of the central Characters (blomkhist) who is portrayed as a moralistic/noble man who himself seeks to expose corruption but being of strong moral fibre he would not dare falsify any evidence to expose criminals yet he himself treated women like objects. He didn’t seem remotely attracted to Lisbeth at first & recognised she was a tortured/troubled girl half his age but he did not reject her sexual advance even before they’d formed a friendship! And the casual encounters with Cecila, he was void of feeling, no emotional attatchment whatsoever. Would have been better if at least one male in the book felt as Larsson did. The only decent male in the book for me would seem to be Henrik Vagner & correct me if I’m wrong bit did he not marry his ‘neice’!! Way too much gratuitous sex for my liking as another person commented. To sum up, a real page turner, but not worthy of all the glorification this book has received. I think all this hype surrounds the fact that the author behind the book is dead and the ongoing feud between his partner & family is outstanding. Everyone of course is untitled to their own opinion, not everyone shares the same taste in literature…and apologies for my many misspellings, I am not Swedish & cannot recall all the name spellings.

- N Bird,

• Lily says:

All of his books suffer from poor editing, lapses in plausible story lines, and many overwritten passages. The plot does keep the reader slogging through for the next meaningful event. I ‘m hoping that the English versions of his later books compiled by Eva Gabrielsson will have the benefit of a really good editor.

- Lily,

• lee says:

I raced to finish reading “Tatoo” so I could go see the movie…..the book started out very interesting, but it became very convoluted…..I have a word for the book and it is “tedious”….

if the movie is true to the book, then I have no desire to see it….

Is this Steg Larson’s contribution to fight sexism and racism?….to feature it unabashed?…..is this his contribution in the fight against mysogeny….to feature women who jump into bed in a blink of an eye?…..is THAT supposed to be liberating?….for who?…

- lee,

• N Bird, says:

I agree completely…I had a very hard time getting to sleep after watching. After the forced..you know in the guardians office I saw the rape scene coming so I skipped past it. I did however, watch the retribution scene. If the writiers really thought it necessary to have that in the movie they could have done it more subtly like eluding to the fact that she was raped. I just don’t know that there is any good that comes to the viewer or anyone involved in making a movie to be subjected to such brutal, human degradation.

- m. lentz,

• ray dickinson says:

I believe the girl with the dragon tattoo is a series where do I find it

- ray dickinson,

• Bruno says:

Does anyone know the title of the track towards the end of the film sang in Spanish/Portuguese?

- Bruno,