The Girl Who Played with Fire

“The Girl who Played with Fire” is the second novel in The Millennium Trilogy and was firstcontent-images-stieglarsson_v2-right_books_offering published in 2006.
 It was published in English in 2009 and straight away became a No. 1 Best Seller in UK and was the first translated novel to do that in the hardback chart.

It won the Swedish Crime Writers Academy Award in 2006 for The Best Swedish Crime Novel .
According to figures from June 2011, the Millennium Trilogy has together sold 60 million copies in more than 50 countries.

Plot summary

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking expose about to be published in Mikael Blomqvists magazine Millenium, and Lisbeths fingerprints are on the weapon.

Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is
despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeths past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

305 comments on “The Girl Who Played with Fire”

• Martina says:

I haven’t read any of the books but the Girl Who Played With Fire is playing at the movie theatre right now. Can I see that movie without having seen the first in the series? Or will I be totally lost?

- Martina,

• ebonflow, says:

Difficult to say. If they could keep up the quality then sure. But no one wants anyone to write more, badly. It’s a fantastic series as it is, and if they find someone with the same calibre perhaps they should just start their own series. Or… perhaps their own series, in the same world so to speak. A background story from the villains point of view would be interesting, yet not cramp on Stieg’s style.

• Jay Jay in New York City, NY says:

Began reading the first book, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo yesterday, could not put it down, read until my eyes burned, forced my eyes to keep reading, i could not stop. what a compelling story…i finished at 9:00 a.m. can’t decide if I should run out and buy the next one or crawl back to reality. i don’t want to leave these characters. i miss the tiny island, and all that coffee…thank you, thank you stieg larsson.

- Jay Jay in New York City, NY,

• tmv, says:

Dymocs in Australia

• willjr29, says:

should of read the books first. movies take away the exitement

- JESS,

• willjr29, says:

SPOILER ALERT:I believe that ‘all the evil’ was when lisbeth firebombs her dad’s car after witnessing the years of abuse

- britt,

sAW THE dvd SO NOW WANT TO READ THE BOOKS

• JESS, says:

He was her original guardian. She found him when he had the stroke and thought he had not survived. He signed her guardianship over to Nils, the scumbag…

- Anita,

• wicked_girlpower says:

What was the solution to Fermat’s equation? Should have been included in book 3!!!

- wicked_girlpower,

• Howie says:

Who was the old man in the nursing home that Lisbeth was friends with ?? was he a relative…friend of his father ??

- Howie,

• Anita, says:

R. W. I love that: “Don’t mess with Lisbeth.” Indeed!

- D C W,

• Ex Lit Prof says:

Lisbeth Salander’s quest is all the more amazing in view of her past. Rather than allowing her past to paralyze her, she has channelled her survival skills to make her way in a violent, fascinating world. My full review can be read at www.the-reading-list.com

- Ex Lit Prof,

• R.W. Walker – San Antonio, TX says:

I have been an avid reader since the age of 6 or so and I am now 70. Two chapters into The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and I was hooked. After reading the book, my wife and I went to see the movie. I am not sure which was the best, the book or the movie. I have read all thee books and they were incredible reading. As we say in Texas….”Don’t Mess With Lisbeth.” What a great character.

- R.W. Walker – San Antonio, TX,

• D C W, says:

I think it could be that the point is simply that we’re not supposed to know WHAT “all the evil” was, but just that it happened, and that it was in some way formative. Perhaps vol 3 will reveal…?

- Kevski,

• Rafeeq Tharayil says:

One of the best book I ever read. The characters are wonderful. I gonna read the 3rd one one soon. Thrilling and astonishing which gave me an idea about Sweden as well. Wonderfull… I miss the auther and wish he was alive.

- Rafeeq Tharayil,

• Ilkim Saral says:

It was incredible… Just amazing.

- Ilkim Saral,

• Jan George says:

I’ve read the first two of the Millenium trilogy. The quality of Stieg Larsson’s writing, story telling, and characters have spoiled me. Am hesitant, both to read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest because that’s the end of this brilliant writing, and to pick up anything else to ready, because it will likely pale in comparison.

- Jan George,

• Gerda K. Meller Miami says:

After finishing the three books, while laying in a hospital in Switzerland. For 5 days I was not able to start a new book. The books are so intensive…..Great.

- Gerda K. Meller Miami,

• WILSON says:

VERY GREED IDEA

- WILSON,

• Marianna Krikopoulou, Greece says:

I’ve just finished reading the 2nd book and cannot wait for the 3rd book to be published (greek version). Otherwise, I should read it in English. I am overwhelmed by the plot and the writing skills of Stieg Larsson. I wish he were alive and wrote more books. I hope Lisbeth Salander will prove to be innocent and will lead a normal life, full of love in the 3rd book… I am going to see the 2nd movie today. The 1st book and movie were also great.

- Marianna Krikopoulou, Greece,

Damn these books are good!!

• Íris Jerónimo says:

Can anyone tell me the name of the guy who feels no pain, from the group of criminals Lisbeth found?

- Íris Jerónimo,

• Carina, says:

The trilogy has been completed, and the first film which I saw twice at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival, not in competition, is set for release in March.

- Fay,

• C, says:

It was Lisbeth in the solitary room at the psychiatric facility, and it’s Dr. Teleborian looking at her.

- Eileen K,

That is so true

• Joan Anderson says:

I agree with the previous reader’s comments about the series being like a drug. I’ve just finished reading the third book in the trilogy and am now suffering serious withdrawal symptoms. The plot of each one just grabs you from the first page and its hard to put them down, even to eat or sleep!

- Joan Anderson,

• Sarah says:

My husband heard about the first book from a co-worker. Knowing that I am always looking for the next great book to read, he eagerly told me about it and picked up for me the next day at the bookstore. I started reading it on Saturday evening and finished it Monday evening. If it wasn’t for a jammed pack weekend and work, I probably would have stayed home all day Saturday just to read it start to finish. I read a lot of mystery books and this by far was one of the best books I have ever read! Going out tomorrow to buy the second and third!! Can’t wait to get back into the world Blomqvist and Salander. I am truly addicted!

- Sarah,

• David Woodley says:

I ‘ve just finished this book and I’ve started the third. What a girl! What a writer! R.I.P. Steg. I hope somebody makes a film of the trilogy.

- David Woodley,

• Fay, says:

I totally agree with you Maria

- H1961,

• Gary C., Fair Oaks, CA says:

Great reading. It will be hard to wait for the 3rd book.

- Gary C., Fair Oaks, CA,

• Troy, Texas says:

who knew reading could be this great . it sux it has to come to an end.

- Troy, Texas,

• just me – Germany says:

Just finished read Girl With The Dragon Tatoo. I hate it because it made me stayed up til morning… reading. The warning is true think before you start reading it!

- just me – Germany,

• Graeme Rogers, says:

good comment…same with me that novel very interesting to me coz give me spirit in my life

- witing R,a,

• Catherine, says:

you can order it from thebookdepository.co.uk and they ship free to Canada

- Mandy,

• Kathy Katz, says:

Book 3 was delivered to the publishers before Mr. Larsson died.

- Jay Henry,

• madelin says:

I enjoyed the first two books very much.The only putoff is the extremely liberal lifestyle practised in sweden.Lisbeth is an awesome and unlikely heroine.

- madelin,

Have just finished Girl With The Dragon Tatoo – best book I have read in a long time.Unputdownable. Have book 111 but must wait until I can get book 11…coming in post soon.

Clare – Ireland.

- ,

• ivette r. says:

yeah i lke the book the girl who played with fire the most

- ivette r.,

• witing R,a, says:

HE WAS GOOD. SORRY BUT HE DIED IN 2004, SO YOU HAVE TO MAKE DO WITH THE 3 BOOKS.

- CESAR.,