The Girl Who Played with Fire

“The Girl who Played with Fire” is the second novel in The Millennium Trilogy and was firstcontent-images-stieglarsson_v2-right_books_offering published in 2006.
 It was published in English in 2009 and straight away became a No. 1 Best Seller in UK and was the first translated novel to do that in the hardback chart.

It won the Swedish Crime Writers Academy Award in 2006 for The Best Swedish Crime Novel .
According to figures from June 2011, the Millennium Trilogy has together sold 60 million copies in more than 50 countries.

Plot summary

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking expose about to be published in Mikael Blomqvists magazine Millenium, and Lisbeths fingerprints are on the weapon.

Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is
despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeths past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

305 comments on “The Girl Who Played with Fire”

• C.A.O says:

Impressed with the book series I sat down and watched the movies, and I have to admit I am impressed. Bravo

- C.A.O,

• lillydebest says:

look like its good cnt wait 2 star readin it

- lillydebest,

• N. S. says:

Liked the 1st and 3rd, too much useless sex in 2nd. Stick to thriller. bordered on usless sex too in 1st novel. We get she was messed up, but most wild young girls sleep with young men, sorry old men its true.

- N. S.,

• lena flores says:

us vesion will never comepete with the orinal!!!!!!!

- lena flores,

• LENA FLORES says:

the original version should be seen first from fist to last of the saga!!!!! the United States actress gives the original no acolade to the ORIGINAL VERSION!!

- LENA FLORES,

• Pam lawler says:

I have just read the a girl with the Dragon Tattoo on a Kindle. Not my usual read at all.

I am hooked, about to down load the the other two using a gift voucher again for my Kindle!

I love Lisbeth Salander! I want adopt her, she needs a surrogate Mum, ps I am 70 not 17.!!!!!

- Pam lawler,

• Herbert207, says:

Lisbeth’s friend. She said ‘ he can find anything.’

- Merran,

OK, how does Blomquist find the ranch/farm at the end of the movie, when all he has is a PO Box , not a street address??

- ,

• Merran, says:

Obviously you have trouble reading such intense manuscrips. Try the movie. It’s more your speed.

- Name/signature,

The second book in the Millennium Trilogy is quite simply, fantastic. The minute I cracked open the spine I couldn’t put it down for long. Kicking the story off with Salander’s new life reeled me in totally as any scene with her in it is a genuine reading pleasure. I’m not going to include any spoilers in my review, but reading ‘The Girl who Played with Fire’ is like watching a non-stop thriller/action movie that is playing out in your mind.

- ,

• Rin says:

Some people have remarked that the book’s shaping of characters as well as certain plot elements are too unbelievable and far-fetched, for eg., Salander’s ‘Superwoman’ powers and ‘return’ from the dead; her half-brother’s medical condition that prevents him from feeling pain. Well, I don’t share those sentiments — come on folks, it’s just fiction! And, like movies, don’t books (especially fiction) serve some form of escapism?

I was aware that the book ended with a cliffhanger, so I bought the third in advance before I finished the second. I’m glad I did, because immediately after I’d turned the last page, I jumped right into ‘The Girl who Kicked the Hornets’ Nest’.

Well, that was yesterday night. I’ve started on the first chapter of ‘Hornets’ Nest’ with mixed emotions… I can’t wait to read how the story unfolds, but at the same time, I can’t bear the thought that this is Larsson’s premature sign-off. Meanwhile, I’m also apprehensive that the third book will not be as good as the preceding two, and I’m praying that I won’t be disappointed.

Had he lived, I’m sure the Millennium series would become as hugely popular and famous as Robert Jordan’s ‘The Wheel of Time’ fantasy epic. Jordan himself died before he could write the conclusion, but, like Larsson, he had made notes and the concluding books could thus be published. I’m hoping then, that Larsson’s fourth book (and possibly more) might eventually see the light of the day. I agree that the author’s style is important, but since Larsson’s works have been translated into English, English-speaking readers will never grasp nor appreciate his original writing fully — and so it is the plot of the books that overall matter much more.

And what we want is more of Larsson’s brilliant ideas, so never mind who is tasked with writing them. Fans would simply love to know Stieg’s train of thought and his vision for his series (how it would pan out, the fate of the characters).

It’s just not good enough telling his legions of fans that we should be content with his three books and they are better than one or nothing. If Larsson did leave plot outlines for the remaining books, they should only be fulfilled by being fleshed out and published. Let’s honour his legacy by completing what he started!

My only regret is that I’ve now become hopelessly addicted to Stieg Larsson’s novels, and that there are no more forthcoming to get my fix. I feel almost robbed.

- Rin,

In my life I really never had a favorite book in fiction or movie for that matter. I can say you blew me away by the books and movies. I want more and more after that. Please don’t ever stop writing you are dam good at it. Very few writers has that thing in there writing that just soaks you in the book. Again my hat is way off to you.

• CESAR., says:

How can we get the DVD’s? My husband and I listened to the first two as well…..Simon Vance is fantastic!

- Christina Moyer,

• adrienne scarano says:

just watched the girl with the dragon tattoo enthralled thought it was fabulous cant wait to reasd other books

- adrienne scarano,

• PM says:

Just finished TGWKTHN – brilliant. What a series – feel as if I know all the characters personally.

- PM,

• June in Essex says:

I have just bought a kindle and these are the first book I bought for it after a slow start I could not put the story down what an amazing writer and storyline. I also muddled titles and am reading 2nd book last – still at least I know a good ending is coming – also makes me want to visit Sweden.

- June in Essex,

• Laraine says:

I think I have really screwed up. I read TGWTDT and thought THGWKTHN was the second one and read that. Now I just got the TGWPWF. Have I ruined the sequence of the storyline? I saw the first movie as well and though it was great but was glad I read the book first.

- Laraine,

• Isabelle says:

I’ve never been enthraled by any other series. These books may be printed on paper, but they unlock Sweden right in your very mind. These are now my favorite books.

- Isabelle,

• sharon lerner says:

It was a superb book. If you can get past the Swedish spelling (names of people and places) and concentrate on the story, you’ll find a riveting story full of action and excitment. I really loved the book. In answer to some peoples question on whether the book can be read without reading the first one, I think you can. I would recommend, however, that they be read in order. The second book (The girl who play with fire) ends in such a way that instead of justing ending with the final word, it should have read “to be continued”

- sharon lerner,

• Chels says:

Do u need to read the first book or can I read the Gil who played with fire dose it follow on or not

- Chels,

• Jasper Lorcan says:

I just watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – AB FAB, kept me at the edge of my seat!!

- Jasper Lorcan,

• Betty Westerlund says:

loved it!

- Betty Westerlund,

• Elizabeth says:

This book was phenomenal, by far one of the best books I’ve ever read.

- Elizabeth,

• Fiftypushing says:

Absolutely superb plotting and characterisation. Brilliant. All three books!

- Fiftypushing,

• Tats says:

I’ve started reading the first book… I can hardly put it down! Yesterday,read it for more than 9 hours without stopping and I love the characters! They seem so…alive! And Lisbeth..a unique character which will never be found in any other book. :)

- Tats,

• Heather, says:

Definitely read the books, then see the moviesThey are without a doubt the best series of books I have read in a very long timeIt’s hard for me to find books that compel me in such a wayI felt a sense of sadness when I reached the end – to know that there wont be any more from Larsson

- ebonflow,

• Beverly says:

This is one of the best novels I have ever had the privilege to read! I could hardly put the first one down, and I can’t wait to get the second one. I am saddened to think that there will not be anymore from this writer. I think his talent for making the characters come to life was unsurpassed in the world of mystery. I can’t wait to see what Salander is up to next!

- Beverly,

• inlove says:

I had a hard time getting into the first novel, but once I did I was enraptured by Larsson’s portrayal of Salander and Blomkvist. I finally received the final two books for Christmas. It is one of the most triggering, phenomenal books I have not been able to put down. I read for 12 hours straight until I finished it. I liked how it was slow to get moving because the murders take you off guard. I am itching to read the third, but I need to sleep first :) There were many moments where my jaw hit the floor. An EXCELLENT, albeit long read. I’m dying to watch the movie.

- inlove,

• JESS says:

I love these books!!! wish there was more!

- JESS,