The Girl Who Played with Fire

“The Girl who Played with Fire” is the second novel in The Millennium Trilogy and was firstcontent-images-stieglarsson_v2-right_books_offering published in 2006.
 It was published in English in 2009 and straight away became a No. 1 Best Seller in UK and was the first translated novel to do that in the hardback chart.

It won the Swedish Crime Writers Academy Award in 2006 for The Best Swedish Crime Novel .
According to figures from June 2011, the Millennium Trilogy has together sold 60 million copies in more than 50 countries.

Plot summary

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking expose about to be published in Mikael Blomqvists magazine Millenium, and Lisbeths fingerprints are on the weapon.

Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is
despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeths past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

305 comments on “The Girl Who Played with Fire”

• Amanda, Australia says:

Why have these brilliant 2nd and 3rd instalments not yet been published in English?? I bought ‘The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo’ while in Germany a couple of months ago, (the English translation), and now back home in Australia I find that parts 2 & 3 of this fantastic series are set to be released in English in Jan ’09 and ’10 respectively?? What on earth are you waiting for??? MANY people are wondering!!! I could read them in a language other than my first language, but would rather read them in English. What about the millions of others who can’t??? COME ON GUYS!!!

- Amanda, Australia,

• dbreidt, reims, france, says:

what an enthralling plot the first book is !! i can’t wait for the second issue. i ended up on this site looking for it, because my bookseller just told me it hadn’t been released yet : what a shame !! the french version has been released for at least a year.

so, come on M. English Editor : move it, for crying out loud !!!

- dbreidt, reims, france,,

• Liz says:

Have finally worked out the point of learning languages. Off to order the German verson of volumes 2 and 3…

- Liz,

• James, London says:

Seriously, what’s the problem here? Why are the English translations taking so long!? Amazon has the 2nd book as being released next year! Outrageous.

Fire the current publisher and get another in that will release this and the last book NOW.

Utter, utter incompetance.

And don’t get me started on the books titles…

- James, London,

• Peter Van Oostende says:

Hello from Belgium.

The first book of the Millenium series (The Girl with the dragon tattoo) already has a cult status here amongst directors and writers and crime novel-readers. I also indulged in the wit, the elegance and the gunpowder efficiency of Stieg Larssons’s plot-twists and dialogue. The second part is out now in a Dutch translation, but I stopped after 5 pages: lost were the spirit, the mood and the calm and controlled chaos of the English flow, it just dus NOT work in Dutch as opposed to the English translation. I found out I’m not the only one. Many of my collegues refuse to read on in Dutch and just quit the book, waiting in vain for the English translation….. The ones who read the first book in English – most of the many people I know (even in France, Greece and the Netherlands) are waiting to read the second part in English. It really shouldn’t take so long as januari 2009. Even if you take market-build-up expectancies and the out-hunger-them-tactics for promotional and marketshare increasings (with eventually pre-sales-systems) : it just takes too long.

The books are written. They can be translated and adapted in an intelligent way just like the first one. It should reach audiences this summer: not januari 2009. This is absolutely an editor’s or distributor’s decision. Of course it could be very real that this is just another battle over author’s rights, publishing rights and a whole lot of money waiting on the shelves. Too bad all this doesn’t honor the superb work of Stieg Larsson. Footnote: the woman cast for Lisbeth is not Lisbeth. Not in a 1000 year’s: a gamble or a mistake? This actress does not embrace the heart and soul, let alone the DNA of Lisbeth Salander. Come on Yellow Bird: movies are about writing and casting, you should know that.

Sincerely, Peter Van Oostende, director

- Peter Van Oostende,

• vivien says:

I’ve just finished the 1rst book, it was awesome. I’ve never read such a well-plotted, funny, touching and scaring story. i love the main characters and i never get bored at a moment.

For the follow up, i’m sad to be in the UAE during 3 months, i cannot find the french version :(

- vivien,

• Francoise Battin says:

Fantastic books, I am reading the second one (french translation), and read all night as I can’t put book down. Scary and exciting thrillers….

- Francoise Battin,

• John Sjorup says:

It is Hard, Having to wait til 2009 for the further stories of Salander and Bromkvist, And sad to know that there will only be two more,

- John Sjorup,

• Clive Read says:

I have just finished reading “The girl with the dragon tattoo’ and it is a long time since I have enjoyed a book so much! This is brilliant writing and quite unique. Yet another outstanding Swedish author. The follow up is already at the top of next year’s birthday list

- Clive Read,

We already have the translation of the 3 books in french. I have started the second book. Amazing ! Be ready ….

- Nathalie,

Fantastic

I have read 2 out of the 3 books. I had the previlage to do so as I am Swedish and all 3 books have been published in swedish. They are both fantastic!!! can´t wait to start the third one.

You English reading people. Hang on…they are worth waiting for!

- Johanna,