Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander

Noomi Rapace is the Swedish actress playing the part of Lisbeth Salander in the Millennium movies. Initially questioned whether she could handle the strong and unusual role of Lisbeth, she has risen throughout the movies. Today, her critically acclaimed part as Lisbeth has awarded her with multiple prizes from different Swedish juries.

Noomi Rapace, née Noomi Norén, was born in Järna, outside Stockholm, Sweden. Her father was Rogelio Durán, a Spanish Flamenco singer, and her mother is Nina Norén, a Swedish actress. When she was five years old, she moved with her mother and stepfather to Flúðir, Iceland, where they stayed for three years. She gained her first acting experience when she played a non-speaking role in “Í skugga hrafnsins” by Hrafn Gunnlaugsson when she was eight years old.

Seventeen years old, she debuted on TV with the part of Lucinda Gonzales in the series “Tre Kronor”. 1998 to 1999, Noomi Rapace studied at Skara Skolscen. The following years, she worked at a couple of smaller theaters in Sweden until she was engaged at Swedens two finest theaters, Stockholms stadsteater and The Royal Dramatic Theatre in 2003. Until this date, she has participated in many Swedish plays and movies.

In 2010, Noomi Rapace was awarded for her leading actress role in the Swedish “Män som hatar kvinnor” (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) with a guldbagge (a Swedish Oscar) as well as Dagens Nyheters kulturpris.

Noomi Rapache is married to actor Ola Rapace, and together they have a son, Lev.

Quotes (translated)

“I’m interested in the darker aspects of mankind, that which is not easy or well balanced. The cracks.” (DN 2007-11-23)

“We need more extreme movies in Sweden, personal projects not necessarily aimed towards a big audience. I think such goals (big audiences) inhibits creativity” (DN 2007-11-23)

344 comments on “Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander”

• Shell says:

WoW, I just saw the movie, great, great and really great. I wish Stieg Larsson was still alive to receive his due. I wonder how he faired finacially the last 10 or so years of his life. Tremendous subjects involved in movie ahhh, such a relief to see. Thank you

- Shell,

• Alice says:

Just saw “…Played With Fire” having seen “…Dragon Tattoo” a few weeks ago. Noomi Rapace is phenomenal. She owns this role. A Hollywood remake is so unnecessary & can’t possibly be as good as these originals. No known Hollywood actress has the talent to pull this off. Can’t imagine what a mess they will make of this story. Noomi Rapace deserves all the accolades coming her way. I hope her other films make it to the US. Would pay to see her in anything.

If there should be a 4th film, she simply MUST do it!!!!

- Alice,

Noomi played her part in the movie The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo extremely well. She became the girl and deserves the American Oscar for this part. I just wish that she could play in the rest of the Millemium series movies as well.

- ,

• Ilona stuck in Chicago says:

Noomi and the other actors cannot, repeat cannot be topped by Hollywood junkfest – however, as far as looks and atmosphere, Samantha Ronson is a good Lisbeth backup – she is not an actress however…..Lindsey could play Miriam Wu! Why no Noomi or Lisbeth t-shirts and clothing yet? How come in the USA, the release of the films is so limited? Is Hollywoodjunk afraid????

- Ilona stuck in Chicago,

• selma, says:

checkout opensubtitles.org

- raj,

• Carolina says:

I think she’s a brilliant choice for the role of Lisbeth. Just the way Larsson described Salander.

- Carolina,

• Tamari Witkin Marcus says:

Where can I see “the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo”?

- Tamari Witkin Marcus,

• selma, says:

I CAN t expect the film ……

- martha italy,

• raj, says:

Absolutely right ! Hollywood will only adulterate and commercialize the trilogy with more craps and bullshits. My money are on the swedish films.

- Jsw,

• Spencer says:

i thought both movies were great, but Hollywood will ruin the movie with

other actors , They can not match these top actors. Please no George

Clooney

- Spencer,

• Ashley says:

Hi, I just watched The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, i loved it. I can’t wait for The Girl Who Played with Fire.

- Ashley,

• Edwina says:

Hollywood is now making the films.. they will not be as good as the Sweedish, I’m sure.

- Edwina,

• martha italy, says:

swedish*

- Daniela Fernandes,

• Jsw, says:

One can never get tired of watching this! I have the extended sweetish version in a usb drive so I don’t lose it.

- Daniela Fernandes,

• Sally says:

It’s also in some theaters.

- Sally,

• Elvar Jakobsson says:

The film is a very fine and professional work. Hollywood could*t have done it better. Noomi Rapache is absolutely brilliant in this role. Extremely good Skandinavien work like this, we love to see.

- Elvar Jakobsson,