Millennium Trilogy

The Millennium Trilogy consists of

-“The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo“,

-“The Girl Who Played With Fire“, and

-“The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets’ Nest“.

A well prepared debutant

Stieg Larsson began thinking about writing detective novels back in the early 90’s, according to co-worker Anna-Lena Lodenius in an interview with the Swedish newspaper Veckans Affärer. He had always been interested in particularly Anglo-Saxon literature and knew the works of Elizabeth George, Minette Walters and Sara Paretsky very well. He knew what ingredients a good detective story should have, and he even reluctantly decided to spice it up with a bit of sex as it would probably please his readers.

A regrettable refusal

As for his work as a journalist, his preparations for the series were thorough. Before he started writing, he had made a detailed synopsis for ten books. He started writing in 1997, and it was not until he had finished the first two books and had the third one under way thatmillennium trilogy he contacted a publisher in the summer of 2003. His first contact was with publisher Piratförlaget, which refused his script twice, perhaps the biggest mistake in Swedish publishing history. Instead, it was the publisher Nordstedts which got the opportunity to sign him in late 2003. With them, Stieg Larsson signed a contract of three books, an exceptional opportunity for an unpublished writer. The publishing rights were also bought by German and Norwegian publisher before it was even published in Sweden. During 2004 Stieg Larsson made minor adjustments to his two finished books and finished the third. When he died in November 2004, it was only a few months before the first book of the Millennium Trilogy was released to the Swedish audience and became an immediate success.

Pippi Longstocking as a source of inspiration

Kenneth Ahlborn, a former colleague of Stieg’s at TT, says in an interview with Veckans Affärer that Stieg got the idea for the character Lisbeth Salander after a discussion during a break from work. They were talking about how different characters from children’s books would manage and behave if they were alive and grown up. Stieg especially liked the idea about a grown up Pippi Longstocking, a dysfunctional girl, probably with attention deficit disorder who would have had a hard time finding a regular place in the “normal society”, and he used part those characteristics when he created lisbeth Salander.

• “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo“
  • “The Girl Who Played With Fire“
  • “The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets’ Nest“

Screen versions of the Millennium Trilogy

It early became clear that the very popular books would be made in screen versions. In 2008 production began in Sweden, and the three books was shot back-to-back into three movies during the  following year. The three movies were given the same names as the books. They were received almost equally well, as for example evidenced by the inclusion of The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo on The Vore’s 15 most suspenseful psychological thriller film list. In the Swedish versions, male actor Michael Nyqvist plays Michael Blomkvist, while Noomi Rapace plays Lisbeth Salander.

Meanwhile the books were a major hit all over the world and it did not take long for Hollywood to see the huge potential in the thrilogy. The legal rights for the novels were set between Columbia Pictures, Stieg Larssons brothers and father and Yellow Bird, the production company behind the swedish films. Production was put on a fast track and the the search to fill the roles started.

In the end Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig were casted as leads playing Lisbeth Salander and Michael Blomkvist.

content-images-arrowRead more about the films here

1,569 comments on “Millennium Trilogy”

• Michael Percival says:

I have just finished reading ‘The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo’ and thoroughly enjoyed it. I believe that it is the best crime book I have read for many years and wait impatiantly for ‘The Girl Who Played With Fire’

- Michael Percival,

• mark tarpila says:

the books are fantastic, best reading ever.

- mark tarpila,

• Meic Sullivan-Gould says:

Like others, could not put “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” down once past the set-ups of the principal characters; written with pace and clarity even if some of the plot devices were trite. I’ll be disappointed by the movie, when it comes.

- Meic Sullivan-Gould,

• Meic SullivanGould, says:

get a life fool, the books are fiction

- Tracee,

• Matti says:

Reading the first book in Finnish and thoroughly enjoying it! One of the best crime novels I have read in a long time. Can’t wait to see what happens in the next installments :)

- Matti,

• Estelle says:

As I do not understand Swedish, I am reading the first novel in French: the story and its ramifications are just great! However, I am a little disappointed by the style and wonder if it is due to a poor translation. Maybe, the English version is better. Any comment on this?

- Estelle,

• Estelle says:

- Estelle,

• susan says:

I recommend it to everyone! I read the 3 books in a week in French. It accompanied me wherever I went, needless to say my husband didn’t hear me for a week. Now it is finished, I’m lost! Just as well not all books are that good. I live in Martinique the passage in grenada was very realistic and accurate. A must read

- susan,

• susan says:

- susan,

• Charlotte says:

I read the Millenium series in french & i really enjoyed it! Those books are amazing & hope that the movies will be representative of the books.

- Charlotte,

• Charlotte says:

- Charlotte,

• Martin AT says:

I read all 3 books within 4 days in German and just want to say – THANK YOU for this exprience.

- Martin AT,

• Pieter, Belgium says:

I Bought this book ( the girl with the dragon tattoo ) last week on an airport when I had a dead moment.

I Can only suggest people with a hectic life one thing : Don’t buy it !!

The book is quite fascinating to read, and i’ve finnished it in Three days, with meant almost no sleep in those three days, since I have a full-time job.

I can’t wait until I have the copy of the Sequel, but I want start reading until I have some day’s of …

- Pieter, Belgium,

• Martin AT says:

- Martin AT,

• Pieter, Belgium says:

I Can only suggest people with a hectic life one thing : Don’t buy it !!

- Pieter, Belgium,