Millennium Trilogy

The Millennium Trilogy consists of

-“The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo”,

Millennium Trilogy

-“The Girl Who Played With Fire”, and

-“The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets’ Nest”.

A well prepared debutant

Stieg Larsson began thinking about writing detective novels back in the early 90’s, according to co-worker Anna-Lena Lodenius in an interview with the Swedish newspaper Veckans Affärer. He had always been interested in particularly Anglo-Saxon literature and knew the works of Elizabeth George, Minette Walters and Sara Paretsky very well. He knew what ingredients a good detective story should have, and he even reluctantly decided to spice it up with a bit of sex as it would probably please his readers.

A regrettable refusal

As for his work as a journalist, his preparations for the series were thorough. Before he started writing, he had made a detailed synopsis for ten books. He started writing in 1997, and it was not until he had finished the first two books and had the third one under way that he contacted a publisher in the summer of 2003. His first contact was with publisher Piratförlaget, which refused his script twice, perhaps the biggest mistake in Swedish publishing history. Instead, it was the publisher Nordstedts which got the opportunity to sign him in late 2003. With them, Stieg Larsson signed a contract of three books, an exceptional opportunity for an unpublished writer. The publishing rights were also bought by German and Norwegian publisher before it was even published in Sweden. During 2004 Stieg Larsson made minor adjustments to his two finished books and finished the third. When he died in November 2004, it was only a few months before the first book of the Millennium Trilogy was released to the Swedish audience and became an immediate success.

Pippi Longstocking as a source of inspiration

Kenneth Ahlborn, a former colleague of Stieg’s at TT, says in an interview with Veckans Affärer that Stieg got the idea for the character Lisbeth Salander after a discussion during a break from work. They were talking about how different characters from children’s books would manage and behave if they were alive and grown up. Stieg especially liked the idea about a grown up Pippi Longstocking, a dysfunctional girl, probably with attention deficit disorder who would have had a hard time finding a regular place in the “normal society”, and he used part those characteristics when he created lisbeth Salander.

• “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo“
  • “The Girl Who Played With Fire“
  • “The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets’ Nest“

Screen versions of the Millennium Trilogy

It early became clear that the very popular books would be made in screen versions. In 2008 production began in Sweden, and the three books was shot back-to-back into three movies during the  following year. The three movies were given the same names as the books. In the Swedish versions, male actor Michael Nyqvist plays Michael Blomkvist, while Noomi Rapace plays Lisbeth Salander.

Meanwhile the books were a major hit all over the world and it did not take long for Hollywood to see the huge potential in the thrilogy. The legal rights for the novels were set between Columbia Pictures, Stieg Larssons brothers and father and Yellow Bird, the production company behind the swedish films. Production was put on a fast track and the the search to fill the roles started.

In the end Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig were casted as leads playing Lisbeth Salander and Michael Blomkvist.

content-images-arrowRead more about the films here

1,568 comments on “Millennium Trilogy”

• Phil says:

Amazing – just finished “Dragon Tattoo, I have really enjoyed this – Lisbeth rocks!

- Phil,

• Jessica White says:

LOVED Dragon Tattoo, couldn’t put it down. Reading the Girl That Kicked the Hornet’s Nest now

- Jessica White,

Would anyone know whether the TV series has been released on DVD’s and if so, where could these be bought in Sweden?

- JR,

• bozena grad z londynu says:

nie mozna przestac czytac,czytac,czytac-jedne z najlepszych ksiazek jakie w zyci przeczytalam-nie chyba NAPEWNO!!!szkoda ze nie dane mu bylopokazac swego talentu dluzej.

- bozena grad z londynu,

• Coco says:

I was afraid to open up the 3rd book when I’ve reached the very last chapter, knowing that that would be indeed the end to the story. The Millenium series had been a long-lasting roller coaster ride for me. It is an absolutely amazing trilogy terse in both plot and purpose. It has resulted my greatest sympathy toward real women that has been subjected to such violations as illustrated in the thriller. It has also roused my deepest contempt and indignance toward those in the real society that allow such violations be carried. There might not be much a seventeen years old Chinese girl can do regarding the uproot of women rights violators. But Stieg, you are truly heard…

I know you won’t be seeing this, but thank you. Thank you very much indeed to your contribution to humanity and of course, to the fulfillment of my thrill. :)

Blomkvist and Salander are legendary!

- Coco,

• Professor Petrocelli says:

The Most Amazing Movie Trilogy I Have Ever Seen!

I just caught the movie “The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo” after seeing the academy awards. It was an AMAZING MOVIE … so I researched it, and the original version in Swedish (dubbed for English) .. well, the entire trilogy was already out …. done a year ago. This is one of the most amazing series I have ever seen. I sat riveted throughout. It is master storytelling at it’s best and totally different than the American Version (Note: I loved the American Version too … but you can see the final 2 trilogies before they’re filmed here). Every Serious Movie Watcher should see these movies. Moviemaking at it’s finest

I just purchased the books. It’s a shame this author died at a young 50. His stories just stick in your brain days after, consume your thinking. I’ve never experienced that with other works.

- Professor Petrocelli,

• Brian Heath, England says:

I’ve just been introduced to the first book by my granddaughter, after hearing vaguely about this “Millennium Trilogy” of books and films for a while. I’m still only a quarter of the way through this first one, and the two main characters are still being drawn, but it is already clear that this author’s premature death robbed the world of a truly great crime writer, and the translation from the original Swedish into English is truly masterly – I feel sure that none of the quality of the original writing has been lost. I’m enjoying this first book so much that I am very torn – I don’t want it to end, but at the same time I’m eager to get on to the next two books to see what other treats the author has in store for us! I won’t bother with the films until I’ve finished all the books, as I’m sure they will fall short in some way, though I’m assured by a nephew who has watched the original Swedish ones with English subtitles that they are very well done indeed. Hollywood, though, is another matter……. A great writer! RIP

- Brian Heath, England,

• harry, says:

still trying to find lennart hyland’s book rhyming alphabet, which I found reference to in steig larsson’s brilliant book. No help from your comment page so can you help?

- claudia,London,England,

• Plug1 says:

I have just fell into Stieg Larssons books and films and having just found out he died in 2004 I am truly gutted beyond words. I was seriously becoming if not I have become a fan already. Very sad that he cannot give us more of his books.

- Plug1,

• Judy Sheldon says:

I listened to all three on CDs and loved them. So sorry there are no more!! The characters and places keep popping up in my mind.

- Judy Sheldon,

• ana rodrigues says:

ainda so li o primeiro e adorei. tem uma maneira de escrever que cativa , e as ideias estao muito bem organizadas.

- ana rodrigues,

• t says:

I think Michael and Lisbeth end up together. they know EVERYTHING about each other. and when they were together in the first book Lisbeth described it as she was actually content with life for once and she started acting different around him like she is in love. Because she is! . So basically girl saves guy, guy saves girl in the second book. and at the end of the third book she lets him back into her life again. I think that is the start of their real relationship as friends first then lovers. their emotions go up and down but the whole focus is on these two main characters. it be too easy for them just to be in love all 10 books. He only published 3 out of the 10 books!

- t,

• andre says:

Just finnished the last book…as people already said here just amazing…

- andre,

• Dorothy Champion says:

Loved all three books

- Dorothy Champion, 27 Mars 2012

• Rosemary R says:

I finished the third just a few days ago. I miss it terribly. It has been so long since a book grabbed me like that. I couln’t wait to see what happened, but didn’t want it to end. I am sad that he did not live to see how successful his writing is. Sadder that he will never write again.

- Rosemary R,

• Boomachuck says:

There would have been 10 books?! I was so very sad that I just finished the third, and that the story is now over for me. I would give just about anything for more.

- Boomachuck,

I am intrigued with Lisbeth Salander’s character. I have read “A Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” book version then I watched Swedish film version and just attended the US movie theater and saw the newest movie version. Both movie version were “fantastic”. I am now reading “A Girl that played with Fire”—so far not a disappointment. I am looking forward to completing the “trilogy”. Stieg Larrssons is a “gifted” author. The story compels you to talk to the characters. It is full suspense and mystery.

- ,

• Joanna says:

Just finished book 3. It was non stop from beginning to end. I hate that we may never know where he planned on taking such great characters.

- Joanna,

• Sarah McFall, Kent, England. says:

I have read many crime and thriller novels over the years, and have experienced a few page turners. With this trilogy, I started off slow to appreciate the subjects involved, but just couldn’t control myself in the end and had to finish the 1st book just so I could start the 2nd. I had the same trouble trying to read the 2nd slowly, but it was impossible. I admit that towards the end of the 3rd I was thinking as much about what I was reading, as the author, and the tragedy that nothing like this would be written by him again. A huge loss to the world of books!

- Sarah McFall, Kent, England.,

• idvjhsoghnb says:

everything a reader could want and more!

- idvjhsoghnb,

• Bob Florida says:

I had forgotten the pleasure of reading a series of well written novels. Story writing like this is so rare.

- Bob Florida,

• Bob Florida Feb 2012 says:

- Bob Florida Feb 2012,

• Adolfo says:

The movie is good mix of complexity and life energy. The understated cute male, the female computer nerd turned sensual-sexual, the power of the sexual abuse scenes. The social reality of modern disfunctional relationships.The corruption of society. And a script that avoids hollywood sensacionalism. I found a delightful good acting on a hard subject. Here in South America.

- Adolfo,

• Sharon says:

What a loss his death is…..I have never been this engrossed in a story.

- Sharon,

• Kim Seloane, Port Elizabeth, South Africa says:

The most interesting and fascinting books i have ever read..Salander makes me proud to be a woman, i was so excited to watch the movie.. i have been a little obsessed with some who writes so amazing, my imagination was blown away, so sorry about the mess with his family.. hope that they can solve and we can get the fourth book… Eva sounds like an awesome woman!!!

- Kim Seloane, Port Elizabeth, South Africa,

• Laurie Mansfield says:

Stieg Larsson is the best writter ever , his book’s takes you to the very edge of your imagination and beyound …Please someone make a film of the full trilogy…Salander is the very best of characters ever

A book I would raed again and again

Laurie uk

- Laurie Mansfield,

• vixa, says:

I read on wikipedia that he died of a heart attack

- Temi,

• james says:

Loved the books and the Swedish version of the films.

- james,