Eva Gabrielsson

Arguably best known for being the long-time partner of the late Stieg Larsson, the famous Swedish novelist who wrote the Millennium series, Eva Gabrielsson has established herself as a notable author, architect, feminist, and prominent activist in the political arena.

Who is Eva Gabrielsson?

Born on November 17th, 1953, Eva Gabrielsson has lived an almost storied life that has eva gabrielssonincluded many different activities which have mostly been associated with her partner, Stieg Larsson, in a relationship that lasted from 1974 to his untimely death in 2004.

Her Life with Larsson

The relationship grew out of love and mutual interest in the politics of Sweden which continued for the entire time that they were together. With Larsson being one of the most noted experts on the neo-Nazi movement in Sweden, Eva joined him in helping to expose these extreme right-wing, anti-democratic organizations which carried with it the risks of danger to them both.

Therefore, Eva and Stieg never married because he feared that the anti-Nazi work he was doing would put her at risk of assassination just like him. There would be no paper trail to link them together in terms of their financial or legal status so she could remain clear of any retaliation from the extremists. The 30 years she spent with Stieg are chronicled in her book, “There are Things I Want You to Know About Stieg Larsson and Me”, an autobiography that reveals much about their lives together.

In her autobiography, she described Stieg as many things, including an unsuccessful journalist and businessman, a feminist, and a fighter for social causes along with being a force against the neo-Nazi movement in Sweden. Larsson founded Expo, an anti-fascist publication in 1995 and began to create the Millennium series which became an international success. Three of his works of the planned 10-volume series were published and a fourth was planned with about 200 pages already written.

Unfortunately for Eva, when Stieg died unexpectedly in 2004 from a heart attack, she was in no position to take control of his estate because he didn’t leave a will behind. Instead, according to Swedish law, Larsson’s estate went to his father and brother, even though Stieg had been estranged from his father for quite some time. In fact, Stieg had spent a considerable amount of time during his childhood with his grandparents who essentially raised him for nine years.

Eva was left out in the cold essentially and to this day has felt like she was dispossessed because of the situation with the estate and how Stieg’s father and brother have managed it since his death.

Eva’s Fight for Larsson’s Legacy

With Stieg’s father and brother running the estate, Eva has been negotiating with them over control of his works. Since Eva has made some noted contributions to the works of Stieg Larsson, the legal rights have been in dispute since his death.

This has not prevented the media rights from being sold for the creation of three Swedish films from the Millennium series, which includes “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”, “The Girl Who Played with Fire”, and “The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest”, all three starring Noomi Rapace, who has gone on to a successful career in American films. In addition, an English version of “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” was made starring Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara.

Eva’s fight has been over the literary rights to all of Stieg’s work and she has refused an offer of $3.3 million from Stieg’s father and brother to settle the matter. She has claimed in interviews that she will not be bought, so the fight continues.

Author

Her most famous work is arguably her memoir about her life with Stieg, but she has authored other works which have gained in prominence as well. She has stated that it was never her intention to write an account of her life with Stieg, but rather it was a coping process after losing her partner to help get through the grief. She had kept a diary of their time together and turned that into a book, the title of which comes from a time in which Larsson was on a trip to Africa in 1977 and believed that he would not make it back.

She has co-authored several books and literary projects which includes a government study in Sweden on creating sustainable housing, a monograph about co-habitation, and a new study with Per Olof Hallman, a noted Swedish urban planner.

Other Information

In addition to her own works, she has translated the novel “The Man in the High Castle” by Philip K. Dick into the Swedish language. She has been a tireless advocate to end violence against women, and she continues her architectural practice that involves both office and housing construction. A part of her work in this field involves an initiative by the European Union to fashion architecture that is sustainable in the region of Dalecarlia.

One of the more interesting theories that has been bandied about by those who knew Stieg Larsson, most notably his friends Kurdo Baksi and Anders Hellberg, is that the Millennium series is something that was out of character for the author. His friends are convinced that Eva Gabrielsson had something to do with writing it and perhaps even co-authored the work.

Eva has been quoted several times on the subject, including one interview where a co-authorship was implied. However, she has clarified her statements since that time stating that it was Stieg Larsson who was responsible for the craftsmanship and writing of the series. Her contributions were more along the lines of suggesting some content which included some ideas that she had regarding the work.

In any event, Eva Gabrielsson remains a strong figure in Sweden and while closely associated with her late partner Stieg Larsson, she has managed to carve out her own identity.

317 comments on “Eva Gabrielsson”

• BAP says:

I’ve read the Trilogy, There are things I want you to know about Stieg Larsson and Me, That Girl Start her Own Country, The Sultan of Monte Cristo, and The Counte of Monte Cristo. The Trilogy was one of the best series I’ve read. The Counte of Monte Cristo is a classic. The book “About Steig and Me is a good, fairly well written book. The Sultan of Monte Cristo and That Girl are not well written books. It seems someone used notes and just pasted them together. Whoever wrote the Trilogy, I believe Stieg Larsson, did not write the Sequels to the Count of Monte Cristo. That Girl Started her own Country could have been a good book. It states it is not the fourth book but anyone with a brain can see it is. The plot sounded like Stieg Larsson for the fourth book but someone threw it together without the extreme details that Mr. Larsson would use. I hope when the real fourth book and those that might follow someone with a writers mind will finish the books. Holy Ghost Writer needs to take some writing classes or it could be someone that is trying to make a profit off of Mr. Larssons great writing skills. I feel rather foolish having purchased the books thinking that some unknown is making a profit off of a Great author.

- BAP,

• Court, says:

If there is an unresolved conflict between Ms Gabrielsson and Larsson’s family, has anyone considered the possibility that there could co

-exist more than one, indeed many, versions of Book #4 and on? If you are aware of the Jane Austen phenomenon of literally hundreds of sequels written by Austen fans (check it out if you don’t know about this!) — it suggests to me that Eva can write more, and so can the brother write his versions, and then we can enjoy them all. And they can go on and on. It works for Austen fans, why not for Stieg Larsson lovers? (Don’t tell me, I don’t want to think about millions of dollars profits for them to dispute over).

- Beverly Solberg,

• alaska, says:

Yeah, you are right. Why did he obmitted the rights of his girlfriend?I really love his stories and wish hard that Ms Gabrielsson will get the literacy rights to continue the 4th book. In fact, I do hope that Lisbeth & Mikael be together. May God bless her to get the rights soon!

- Linda,

• BAP says:

- BAP,

• Court, says:

- Beverly Solberg,

• alaska, says:

- Linda,

• Rolf Gerhard M says:

I read the whole trilogy last year and I found it awesome. Stieg was terrific. I admire him and I hope Eva gets what she deserves. That´s what Stieg would have wanted. Respect him, her…them.

- Rolf Gerhard M,

• Rolf Gerhard M says:

- Rolf Gerhard M,

• Duggyg says:

He did leave a will but his dastardly lawyer in cohoots with the brother and father, has destroyed it, but don’t worry, Salandar had already accessed the lawyers computer, and has a copy of the will. She is in two minds though, as she felt a lot for Stieg and resents Eva. But she would like the fourth book to be finished, so she can get with kicking some more butt.

- Duggyg,

• Duggyg says:

- Duggyg,

• Susan S Bulkeley says:

I just finished Eva Gabrielsson’s book. When she said she and Steig talked marriage, bought rings but were always too busy over the coarse of 30 years to get it done, is a real irony considering what has happened to her. Always protect yourself in any relationship! I hope father and brother come to terms with her. These men had nothing to do with the writing of the triology and only have his money because of Swedish law. I saw the interview of the men on 60 minutes and watched them paint a very different picture of their lives with Steig than the one Eva portrays. I really hope Eva gets the literary rights to Steig’s work so that the forth book can be finished and released.

- Susan S Bulkeley,

• Susan S Bulkeley says:

- Susan S Bulkeley,

• catherine says:

I think the real author of the trillogy is Eva Gabrielsson for some non clear reasons the books were signed by Stig Larsson . I am pretty sure if she publishes the fourth book finally, we are going to understand the real mindset complex’s Salander, so far the readers we just entertained reading a thriller which has the most particular main characther Lisbeth .

I feel really sorry for all the inconvenience is Eva having since her ex husband passed away and I feel so annoyed about the Swedish laws , even in Latin America a partner de facto has rights over the properties made during the relationship.

- catherine,

• catherine says:

- catherine,

• Reader of the Trilogy and Biography says:

I am apalled by the Swedish Government and their archaic laws against females. I am a person who makes my judgement based on hearing both sides of the story. It would be helpful to get information from both Stieg’s and Eva’s friends and family in the form of a written affidavits before judging them. Then people can make a more informed judgement to make their decisions about who has the right to inherit the money and rights to Stieg’s works. Personnally, by reading Eva’s biography, I find their psychiatrist did good by having a writen document to justify Eva. From the information in her biography, I lean towards Eva.

For those who have already made nasty comments, you should do a thorough research. Shame on you!!!!! How can you make such a statement before judging others? Do you know what you are even blabbing about?

As for the Swedish Government, I will lobby against their archaic laws by having people I know refrain from touring Sweden. This will hurt the government by not benefiting economically until drastic changes to their anti-feminist system are made. I know this may sound cruel to let Swedes suffer, but this is the only way I know to do this. If any other person has an idea to make the Swedish Government change their laws, I am for them. Also I would like it made retroactive so “Common Law, Partners or Significant Others” may claim what is rightfullly entitled to them.

- Reader of the Trilogy and Biography,

• Bernie Ward says:

Let this be a lesson to all women. Assume control of your life! They should have married. At the very least, Mr. Larsson should have written a will protecting his partner & love, Ms. Gabrielsson & Ms. Garrielsson should have insisted on it! How ironic that Mr. Larsson worked for the rights of women he didn’t know while failing to protect the rights of the woman who worked along side him for 30 years! That said, I am hooked on “The Girl..” triology & couldn’t put them down! This body of work is excellent!

- Bernie Ward,

• Beverly Solberg, says:

Actually that is not so. The unfinished fourth book by Stieg is tied up in legal problems and Herr Lagercrantz’s book is all by him. True, the Larsson family approved his writing a fourth book. But Eva Gabrielsson has the Stieg version and has ben forbidden to finish it, she has no rights to it, say the senior Larssons. A pity, because Eva helprd stieg write all three of the trilogy. And to those who claim she is greedy, you are wrong. All she wants are the moral and e d itorial rights. She knew what Stieg wanted to complete book four. So please no more nasty jabs at this lady. Read her book, Stieg and the English version, Stieg Larsson and Me, for her side of it.

- Tara Lawrence

-Stuart,

• Roberto Vivacqua, Argentina, says:

he was so young

- greyat vanstravink,

• Linda, says:

Massive heart attack

- Bette,

• Reader of the Trilogy and Biography says:

- Reader of the Trilogy and Biography,

• T, says:

But he wasn’t estranged from his family. His brother today released the email that Stieg sent him 20 days before his death. In it, Stieg sounds like he was fairly close to his brother, signing off with “Kisses”All this stuff about estrangement is coming from Eva. Maybe it’s not true?

- Bob,

• Bernie Ward says:

- Bernie Ward,

• Linda, says:

I think you misunderstand the situation. The reason that Eva wouldn’t get any rights were that she was not married to Stieg and was not included in any will (he hadn’t written one). The law you’re talking about is in no way sexist, had Stieg been a woman and Eva a man, It would still be the same. You can say it’s a bad law if you want but not sexist.

- T,

• Roberto Vivacqua, Argentina, says:

Sarah, being from the states, you are obviously not as aware of how Sweden treats their people as one would living in Sweden. They have one of the most progressive governments in the world. Their treatment of women in general has been lauded as one of the best.Were you aware that Steig and his girlfriend were involved in “policing” those in the country who were Nazi/skinhead sympathizers? That is why she was worried about his safety more than his health.Please do a little more research on what you spout off about, before you go full throttle against a country’s whole governmental system. Eva may have an ax to grind, and she is just one person.You know, living in the States, we are not able WHATSOEVER to receive monies/inheritances from a boyfriend/girlfriend. We cannot register our relationship with the government so that we can establish that. But, in Sweden, where marriage is often an afterthought, they can do that.I’m very proud of my Swedish heritage, and know that the US should be copying many of the things that are standard in Sweden.

- Kathy G, in IL, US,

• Beverly Solberg, says:

I’ve read that in Sweden you don’t have to be married to inherit — but if you’re not married, then you have to register your relationship with the civil authorities. Otherwise, you are treated as a flat

-mate. That doesn’t discriminate against anybody.Also, Sarah, as much as nobody wants to believe this (especially on this board), maybe Stieg didn’t want Eva to inherit. With all the lawyers that would have been around to draw up all those book contracts, it’s hard to imagine that not one of them brought up the idea of a will. Surely, Stieg had a personal lawyer who would have done this?

- Bob,

• Edith von der Heide Australia says:

Eva please compromise with Stieg’s family let them give you your home & publising rights to the manuscript you have & royalties from sales of it .I think you owe that to Stieg’s Millennium readers .My heart goes out to you for your loss of an amazing man I’m sure he couldn’t have written the books without his partner you Eva .Let his series be complete maybe you can continue the series

- Edith von der Heide Australia,

• HMS, says:

Com certeza Eva sabia dos planos De Stieg ,acho que ela deveria continuar a trilogia…….

- Flávia/Brasil,

• Sascha, says:

Thats life .Eva can keep the series going she must know how Stieg thought & discussed with her & I’m sure she checked everything out

- Denis McGrath,

• Randall roske says:

Too bad Stieg died so young and before success was his!

- Randall roske,

• Flávia/Brasil, says:

Espero muito que Eva continue essa triogia que é maravilhosa!!!!!!!!!

- Flávia/Brasil,

• Denis McGrath, says:

I second that

- Edith v. d. Heide,

• Fatima Ayala, says:

John, you’re still an ass.Who cares why the family was alienated, –she was the one who was there for him.

- Jeremy,

• Peter R. Toigo Canada says:

I think Eva Gabrielsson has handled herself with enourmous dignity in light of the events which have transpired after the death of her life partner Stieg Larson. Any fair minded person who believes justice for all would agree.

- Peter R. Toigo Canada,

• Margaret Bradbury says:

Best wishes to you Eva Carry on and finish the book Maggie

- Margaret Bradbury,

• Edith v. d. Heide, says:

Defacto relationships should be treated the same as legal marriage Sweden is behind the times

- Ev d Heide,

• Flávia/Brasil, says:

Pardon, But maybe she is the reason he was alienated from his family, ever think of that, Jack!

- ,

• Kirsty says:

How sad….We are so far ahead of time, yet so blind..

Poor Eva…what an appalling injustice!!

- Kirsty,

• Jane says:

Due to Swedish Law Eva and Stieg were not able to marry. Stieg also planned on living much longer! He planned a futher 7 books in the series. The life of Eva and Stieg is an inspiration to the writings of the 3 books. Believe me their lives puts such depth to reality being stranger than fiction. In this case tragic and brutal. They both were in fear of their lives. People should do a little more research before spouting forth judgemental ill informed comments. It is truly tragic that even after Stieg’s early tragic death that the toxic environment is still poluting Eva’s life.

- Jane,

• Reader of the Trilogy and Biography, says:

Here is another compromise. The father and Eve share all the money. The brother go and find work. I bet the parasite is 40 years old and is still living in his father’s house, has never married and is a moron.lol.

- Adam,

• Jane says:

A P.S also due to the Swedish Law due to Eva not being married to Stieg she has no rights to his ‘property’. Sweden is not so progressive on women’s or Gay rights for that matter than for instance here in UK. Both Eva and Stieg have been campaigning against right wing ignorance. This can be seen from the trilogy.

- Jane,

• Ev d Heide, says:

I completely concur with your comments. Many other countries besides the U.K. are much more progressive.Eva, I sympathize with you and have great empathy in your situation. A good friend of mine has suddenly lost her husband in a similar way as Stieg just last month. He was an Estate and Wills Lawyer. He did not make a will but his spouse is protected.I just posted my comments on 26 February 2012 as “Reader of the Trilogy and Biography”.

- Reader of the Trilogy and Biography,

PLEASE ALLOW EVA TO FINISH WHAT A AMAZING MAN BROUGHT TO LIFE. IT SEEMS SO SAD THAT THIS MAN’S LIFE WILL BE REMEMBERED FOR BITTERNESS, AND NOT WHAT HIS MIND CREATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Michael says:

Here’s a compromise. The family gets the first three books. She gets the character and any future books she completes.

- Michael,

• Adam, says:

John, pardon but you’re just an ass.

- Michael,

• John W.E. says:

If Eva is such a good writer, Than she doesn’t need his money or rights to his books. Trying to take any of his writing away by insisting she played a big role in it, dishonors his memory and legacy as a writer. Shame on you! The man is dead, let his legacy be his own, YOKO! You are just as greedy as his family, more so because people listen to you. Let his writing be his!

- John W.E.,

• Sue, says:

I would like some coffee and a smoke. Fourth Novel or not, His end has me completely subdued in the reality of this writer and his final breath. Novel by itself.

- cstiles91108yahoo.com,

• Labor Shall Rule, says:

To Scott and acusaYou’re both on target….loved the books and the Swedish films and can’t wait for the Fincher fix to arrive….but Noomi with a wordless glance and a drag on a cigarette nailed Salander

- hilodave,

• Labor Shall Rule, says:

I for one can’t wait to see the new one. Just finished re

-reading the Book and know, yes know, that if you put every character and scene in the book in the movie you’d have a 7 hour film, instead of a tolerable 2.5 hour film. But it also bugs me that Oplev chose to have Lisbeth discover the biblical connection, and not, as in the book, Pernilla. (you do remember all this don’t you?). Let’s just see how close Fincher and company gets to the book before ranting and raving about American Films!

- acusa,

• Labor Shall Rule, says:

Your comments against the new version are ridiculous. I love the original Swedish film, but it could be argued that that version is very stripped down and omits/changes what took place in the novel and that much of the casting is all wrong (excluding Noomi Rapace, who was perfectly cast).The new film is NOT a remake. It is a readaptation by Steven Zaillian (look him up if you’re not too busy hating) and directed by the great and peerless David Fincher (Seven, Fight Club, Zodiac). I suspect (go ahead and hang me out to dry) that it will be better than the Swedish version.And uh…whoever it was that said that the US version of Kenji Suzuki’s THE RING was a flop doesn’t know what they’re talking about.Look me up on IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3236399/

- ScottKessler,

• paul, says:

Without a doubt.

- Nora,

• millhouse vanhouten, says:

In Brazil the book came with the metric system _

- kiwiiski,

• Goerge, says:

Are you leaving in the US???

- groing,

• Michael, says:

Greed

- ,

• Jeremy, says:

Or how about his views on racism, facism, and violence?

- Kevin,

I meant ask how you can not agree with his views especially in regards to women. I don’t get that.

- Kevin,

• Anna, says:

On a big scale, just breath.

- RIP.,

Håkan Nesser books about crimeinspector “Barbarotti” (Italian Father) is a another coffedrinking caracter that will keep you ocupied for many hours.

- Jarmor,

• Labor Shall Rule, says:

Maybe you’re too dumb to know ‘too’ has two o’s.

- KF, Scotland,