The legacy

Controversy surrounding the legacy

Stieg Larsson spent 32 years of his life with the architect Eva Gabrielsson. However, they never married, maybe due to Stieg’s dangerous work at the Expo-foundation. They did not have any children, and Stieg left no written will, so according to Swedish law, Stieg’s estate was inherited by his father and brother. This sparked a dispute between Eva Gabrielsson and Stieg’s relatives. She claims that they “were never a part of our lives” and that they are not the right persons handling Stieg’s estate.

A fact complicating the matter is that Eva has the laptop with the partly finished script for the content-images-stieglarsson_v2-right_books_offeringfourth book in the Millenium series. And she will not publish the script unless she is given the full rights to manage the novels in the Millenium series, the novels which she and Stieg worked with together. However, Stieg’s father and brother has not been willing to meet this amend, and this has resulted in a stalemate which has lasted the five years since Stieg’s death.

The most recent event took place when Stieg’s father and brother in an interview with a newspaper offered Eva a final settlement of € 2 million. She rejected the offer, saying that it is not the money she is after, but the legal rights to administrate the literary property of Stieg.

So the stalemate continues, and the final words have not been said.

777 comments on “The legacy”

• Mark Chisnell says:

What a nightmare, lesson: write a will.

- Mark Chisnell,

• Name/signature says:

ive read alot of books but these three are awesome, im up to ‘the girl that kicked the hornets neat’ and cant wait to get started. good luck to you eva

• Ian Ray says:

I am addicted and only half way through first book. Please sort out the rights issue, I will be hanging out there for that 4th book.

- Ian Ray,

• Caroline Allin says:

I have just read the girl with the dragon tattoo and the girl who kicked the hornets nest from the liabrary and they were rivetting, just waiting for the gil who played with fire from the library, I saw the girl with the dragon tattoo and I had to watch it until it was finished last night, It was a thrilling experiece.

- Caroline Allin,

• Lau, says:

My point was/is that obviously in Sweden ‘kisses’ in an e

-mail equals as much as 32 years of a shared life !!!! I think NOT…..

- Barbara Sexton, London,

• L McRorie says:

This is so wrong and lives up to the message of abuse to women in Sweden in so many ways. Swedish laws seriously need an overhaul they are primitive at best.

GO EVA!

- L McRorie,

• Mr. Get With Reality! says:

The father and brother should give all of the literary rights and let Eva Gabrielleson manage all of Stieg’s literary business, since the father and brother never wanted anything to do with Stieg or Eva before Stieg’s death. All Stieg’s father and brother care about anyway is causing trouble for Eva and anyone else and they only care about the money of the late Stieg Larsson. The way I see it, since Eva and Stieg both wrote the books together, the copyright belongs to Stieg and Eva both and not the father and brother. They have no rights to the literary works of Stieg and Eva.

- Mr. Get With Reality!,

• you ndont need it says:

i think he was bumped off.i bet he didnt have a history of heart problems!

- you ndont need it,

• G. Fox says:

I have read hundreds of fiction books. The Millenium series are the best books I have ever read. Please get the 4th book printed. To hide this book is like Knocking down Stone Henge to make a car park!

- G. Fox,

• dermot donegan snr says:

the greatgreed virus is in us all and it blooms when it comes to money and death usually brings it out when the money the table.the greed is a very infectious illness and steig,s father and brother are a prime example.

- dermot donegan snr,

• Me says:

Guess he should have married her!

- Me,

• cocoabutterfine says:

I didn’t know anything about him until Investigative Discovery covered his story in the series “THE WILL.” I hv it recorded & going 2 watch now.

- cocoabutterfine,

• cj says:

It is a travesty of justice that Stieg’s father and brother have stolen his estate from his partner of over 30 years. The father KNOWS that his son wanted his estate to go to his girl friend, it is criminal and unforgivable that they use a technicality of law to deprive his rightful heir. They must not of really loved their son/brother, or they would want to fulfill his wishes rather than profit from a loophole.

- cj,

• Name/signature, says:

I know that in MO, US that you have to share the same address for 7 years.

- Mandy,

• Helen Herbel says:

Sounds like a saga for a fifth book. I do hope all is resolved as I have just finished the enthralling trilogy. Eva I send my best wishes for a better than expected outcome. regards from Australia

- Helen Herbel,

• Name/signature says:

I’ve just Read the first two Books in The Trilogy and am about to begin the Epic Conclusion. I hope that everything works out and at the very least the 4th Book gets Published, it is Phenomenal Work. My personal opinion is Eva definitely deserves The Exclusive Rights to Manage The Series, not only because she was his Soul Mate but also because it was a shared Literary and she is The Possessor of The Manuscript for The 4th Book.

• Tom Martin says:

- Tom Martin,

• Name/signature says:

The second sentence should be “they” not “the”

• Randall Ellis says:

I just finished the series; what awesome writing that has filled many hours of reading.

Eva, I hope you gain full control of every thing Stieg had, you are/were his partner in life and love!

Everyone must have a will – my daughter just died without one causing great problems with her ex-husband. I am now attempting to get her assets back for her minor son – see site Aimees Bill

Thank you for collaborating with Stieg, a look forward to the next book published under your name.

Randall

- Randall Ellis,

• Name/signature says:

Can someone please explain why so gifted a person could/would not leave a proper will in order to keep his loved one from this years- long pain?

• Kahty Johnson, Tennesee says:

After all these years, has no one in this world learned anything about love? Who a person spends their life with is their family, especially in death. No wonder Mr. Larsson didn’t have his father and brother in his life. Too bad he didn’t realize how they would act and protect his woman accordingly. If all she wants is the rights to the books that she was part of creating, they should give it to her in his memory. Their actions show what kind of character they have. It is a real shame and she should know that their fans are behind her. They are probably the inspiration for some of his awful, terrible characters in his books. The world knows your right.

- Kahty Johnson, Tennesee,

• Name/signature says:

Families become evil when it comes to inheritances especially when there is no Will! This evil is driven by greed, covetousness and avarice. It is disgusting, but I have seen this type situation before…I hope the Father and Brother will get their just deserts!

• Name/signature says:

The so-called father and brother are not fit to be called that. They have stolen Stieg’s most valuable possesion from his rightful heir! Be patient Eva justice will prevail!

• c kelly says:

eva should have control,she was his wife in all but name

- c kelly,

• Name/signature, says:

she is alive

- zongezile,

• HLS says:

Let her have control. She and Stieg were the ones involved with the stories. Family can be real pains in the ass. I know this first hand.

- HLS,

• ACM/August 25 2012 says:

The family should not have any rights to the estate. It should go to Eva. Marriage laws should be abolished. It is unfair to people that sees no need to institutionalize oneself if one is sure of the love and commitment.

- ACM/,

• JVR says:

Will watching is a motive for his brother. I think the police arent trying hard enough to find out what really happened to Stieg. And for that maybe the police shold be investigated as well.

- JVR,