The legacy

Controversy surrounding the legacy

Stieg Larsson spent 32 years of his life with the architect Eva Gabrielsson. However, they never married, maybe due to Stieg’s dangerous work at the Expo-foundation. They did not have any children, and Stieg left no written will, so according to Swedish law, Stieg’s estate was inherited by his father and brother. This sparked a dispute between Eva Gabrielsson and Stieg’s relatives. She claims that they “were never a part of our lives” and that they are not the right persons handling Stieg’s estate.

A fact complicating the matter is that Eva has the laptop with the partly finished script for the content-images-stieglarsson_v2-right_books_offeringfourth book in the Millenium series. And she will not publish the script unless she is given the full rights to manage the novels in the Millenium series, the novels which she and Stieg worked with together. However, Stieg’s father and brother has not been willing to meet this amend, and this has resulted in a stalemate which has lasted the five years since Stieg’s death.

The most recent event took place when Stieg’s father and brother in an interview with a newspaper offered Eva a final settlement of € 2 million. She rejected the offer, saying that it is not the money she is after, but the legal rights to administrate the literary property of Stieg.

So the stalemate continues, and the final words have not been said.

777 comments on “The legacy”

• Patrice says:

As Eva was the contributing partner with Steig creating this Millenium series I see no reason she should not be given rights to admisister these joint colaboration literary projects. It would seem the family is more concerned about the moneys rather than the legacy Stieg leaves behind.

- Patrice,

• Patrice says:

- Patrice,

• Rocket Summers says:

I hate Stieg’s brother and father. Why don’t they just let Eva publish the book? We want to keep reading about Mikael and Lisbeth… I finished the 3rd today, and I REALLY want to know what’s next. I just love those characters too much.

- Rocket Summers,

• Rocket Summers says:

- Rocket Summers,

• josh says:

im stipid and i hate this site

- josh,

• kawika gibby says:

i love you lynn baxter

- kawika gibby,

• kawika gibby says:

can you GO tonight… if you know what i mean :)

- kawika gibby,

• kawika gibby says:

i love you lynn baxter

- kawika gibby,

• kawika gibby says:

can you GO tonight… if you know what i mean :)

- kawika gibby,

• josh says:

im stipid and i hate this site

- josh,

• evalina, says:

Wouldn’t it be nive if we all could “get married”?

- think about it,

A fact complicating the matter is that Eva has the laptop with the partly finished script for the fourth book in the Millenium series. And she will not publish the script unless she is given the full rights to manage the novels in the Millenium series, the novels which she and Stieg worked with together. However, Stieg’s father and brother has not been willing to meet this amend, and this has resulted in a stalemate which has lasted the five years since Stieg’s death.

- garrett,

- garret,

- garrett,

- garret,

• Quinton Wenk, 17, Dansville, MI, USA. says:

This stalemate is completely ridiculous. Eva should get the rights to Steig’s estate. If his father and brother had nothing to do with him, then their greed is completely withholding the progression of a great legacy.

- Quinton Wenk, 17, Dansville, MI, USA.,

• Quinton Wenk, 17, Dansville, MI, USA. says:

- Quinton Wenk, 17, Dansville, MI, USA.,

• Lynn Baxter says:

Ditto ditto dditto all the comments about these great books.

Also Write a Will!! (I haven’t – stupid me)

and Get Married! There are all sorts of ways where cohabiting couples are very vulnerable financially. Also, if one partner is in hospital and unable to say what he/she wants. other family members are able to stop you visiting, have a say in funeral arrangements etc. etc. Living together is NOT the same legally as being married.

- Lynn Baxter,

• think about it, says:

- D Eltherington,

• kawika gibby, says:

we should not forget that steig larsson didn´t get the success and profit out of his book because he died before book no. 1 was published. he surely didn´t expected to die and for this reason (and the reason that there wasn´t a big amount of money to bequeathe) he had no current matter to leave a will!

- Jennifer from Germany,

• Lynn Baxter says:

Ditto ditto dditto all the comments about these great books.

Also Write a Will!! (I haven’t – stupid me)

- Lynn Baxter,

• kawika gibby, says:

Agree

- Leila liples,

• think about it, says:

I agree completely with the above! It’s been a while since I read a book so I started slowly with the first one. I didn’t see the first movie as the title (weird, I thought) didn’t appeal to me then. I had no idea what the movie “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” was about and concluded it was made for young people. Luckily, my son gave me the trilogy for Christmas. Now I’ve read the three books and they’re simply amazing! I was “nursing” the latter part of the third book as I didn’t want it to end, knowing there was no 4th book. I really mourn for Stieg Larsson! I felt such an attachment to the author while reading. Yes, I’m reading them again but more slowly. I feel as though we readers have been orphaned.

- Marna Veloso,

• joey says:

have just finished 3rd book,thank god i was staying up way way too late for the past week reading the trilogy! now you tell me there could be a 4th in the making..yay. As for 20 000 000 sold world wide ,just imagine how many have really read it..I got mine second hand,library etc and will be passing them on to family with strict instructions that they return lol. just for the record Eva should get full control ,hang in there Eva, but not too long cause im a greedy reader and i want more!

- joey,

• joey says:

- joey,

• anne richardson says:

I find it very strange that Stieg Larsson didn’t have a will. And to think that a country so forward thinking as Sweden is so backwards in it’s laws regarding women. Thank god for Canadian Laws.

Who is going to write the book about “the death of Stieg Larsson”?

The amount of money that was made from the first three books was over the top, someone will write

it and I’m a rotten write. Come Eva start writing.

Who was the person that did the translation for the first two books, great job.

I had a stroke five years ago so I can reread the books very six months or so. What a great plus.

- anne richardson,

• Name/signature says:

Started Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and can hardly put it down. Cannot wait to get to the next book. Have not felt this way about a book in years! What fantastic writing. If Eva had a hand in composing this, then she has every right to the profits.

• Val Batty says:

I have gone from start to finish on these books and I just did not want the last one to end. All I will say that I really want to start again and take it slower this time, but I will wait a little longer. Absolutely stunning books. His death was a great tragedy and Eva has every right to stand up for their rights. I hope I am still alive when the 4th book finally gets published.

- Val Batty,

• Marna Veloso says:

A literary genius with a compelling mind in storytelling. How we readers have enjoyed Larsson’s work. I think its fabulous that another 4th book is to be published in 2015.

- jas,

• kurt lowy says:

my opinion is,that of course she (his companion) has the right to control the work she and he did in his lifetime.

- kurt lowy,